The current projects we are working on in 2013:
Kokoro Kara Project
NAAPIMHA is developing a national prevention, education and training program of consumers and para-professionals to improve the health of Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders. NAAPIMHA is accomplishing this by addressing these areas:
- Prevention, education, and training efforts
- Addressing social determinants of health
- Insuring cultural and linguistic competence
- Use of web-based system to enhance communication
This project is funded by Office of Minority Health’s National Umbrella Cooperative Agreement Program II to Improve Health Status of Minority Population.
Friends Do Make a Difference
- A campaign that raise awareness around mental health within Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander communities
- Develop local capacity to address mental health issues
- Develop national directory of AANHPI student groups and community based organizations
- NAAPIMHA provides interpreter trainings to numeruos mental health agencies, clinics, and service-providers in California, Texas, Virginia, New Mexico, and Louisiana.
- NAAPIMHA helped to create the first national standards for interpreter training within Asian American Pacific Islander communities in New York, San Francisco, Waianae (HI), Denver, and Seattle.
- NAAPIMHA works with four community-based nonprofit organizations throughout the nation who partner with Cambodian communities. NAAPIMHA provides technical assistance to these organizations as they develop preventative-care programs focused on diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and mental health issues
- This Project is funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Clinical Training in New Orleans:
- NAAPIMHA partners with MQVN Community Development Corporation of New Orleans to provide cultural competency and interpreter trainings. The goal of the training is to prepare case workers to assist and educate Vietnamese fishermen and their families who suffer from the oil spill disaster.
- This project is funded by the Catholic Charities Archdiocese.
National Asian American Pacific Islanders Empowerment Network (NAAPIEN):
- NAAPIMHA is providing technical assistance to NAAPIEN as they build a statewide network for California consumers.
If you are interesting in learning more about these projects, please contact Dr. DJ Ida at firstname.lastname@example.org or click on Contact Us